Are you looking to buy a Rinnai tankless water heater? Rinnai is the #1 selling tankless water heating company in the United States due to their experience, dedication to quality, and warranty, but they make many products. So which Rinnai tankless water heater is the best?
In this PlumbingNav review, we will rate the top five Rinnai tankless water heaters and explain just why Rinnai developed a reputation as one of the leading tankless manufacturers on the market.
Rinnai HE+ Series RL94iN Gas Tankless Hot Water Heater
|View on Amazon|
Rinnai SE Series RUCS75iP Gas Tankless Hot Water Heater
|View on Amazon|
Rinnai SE+ RUR199iP Gas Tankless Hot Water Heater
|View on Amazon|
Rinnai CU Series CU160iN Gas Water Heater
|View on Amazon|
Rinnai HE Series V65EN Gas Tankless Water Heater
|View on Amazon|
Our #1 Rated Rinnai Tankless Water Heater
The Rinnai HE+ series offers a highly efficient design as well as a water flow speed of up to 9.4 GPM. It also comes with all of the technology you could ask for in a modern water heater, including a digital display on the unit and a Control-R 2.0 mobile app. All of these features make it the perfect, reliable choice for any family home.
Our Top 5 Picks for Rinnai Tankless Water Heaters for 2021
- Rinnai HE+ Series RL94iN Gas Tankless Hot Water Heater (Our Overall Top Pick)
- Rinnai SE Series RUCS75iP Gas Tankless Hot Water Heater (Top Value)
- Rinnai SE+ Series RUR199iP Gas Tankless Hot Water Heater (Top High End)
- Rinnai CU Series CU160iN Gas Water Heater (Top Commercial)
- Rinnai HE Series V65EN Gas Tankless Water Heater (Top Budget)
|What's In This Guide?|
What Are The Advantages and Disadvantages of Rinnai Tankless Water Heaters?
Every company has its own advantages and disadvantages compared to other brands. Here are some of the pros and cons (redundant) of Rinnai tankless water heaters.
- Experience – Rinnai has 100 years of experience, making them experts in the field. They understand what it takes to make a great water heater and how to choose the best water heater for your home.
- Warranty – Rinnai believes in their products so much that they offer a generous factory warranty on most models of 10 years for the heat exchange, five years for parts, and one year for labor. You can also add an additional labor warranty if you register the product within 90 days.
- High Energy Efficiency – Tankless water heaters provide higher efficiency in general, but Rinnai takes it one step further. They offer three levels of efficiency: super high efficiency (RUR series, RU series, RUCS series, and RUS series), high efficiency (RL series, RLX series, and V series), and hybrid (CHS series).
- No Customer Service On Weekends – When you need customer service on your water heater, you want it all the way. However, everyone needs a break from time to time. Rinnai gives customer service employees the weekend off, so you will have to wait to call until 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. CST Monday – Friday.
- No Tank Options – Some people prefer to purchase a water heater with a tank system since they tend to cost less upfront and accommodate large families well. Rinnai, however, chooses to stick to tankless water heaters for the efficiency benefits and smaller size.
- Professional Installation Recommended – Rinnai strongly suggests the professional installation of their products to ensure that they work properly from the very beginning. In many cases, the warranty will be invalid if the unit was installed improperly.
What Are The Key Features Of Rinnai Tankless Water Heaters?
As a consumer, you want to know some main features of the company you choose. Here are some of the key features of Rinnai tankless water heaters.
Reputable Company/Customer Service:
Rinnai spent 100 years developing the great reputation that helped make them the #1 tankless water heater manufacturer in the United States. The knowledgeable customer service team can help you throughout the entire process, including product selection, installation, and troubleshooting/repairs. They also support the troops and their families through the renowned charity Folds For Hope.
While a Japanese company, Rinnai opened a manufacturing plant in the United States with advanced automation technology, making them the first major brand to do so. They also make their own components, allowing them to take control over quality in house. To add to their dedication to quality, each product undergoes significant testing before shipping it out.
Ease of Use:
Rinnai makes it easy for everyone to use their products with a clear digital display. They also incorporate technology to increase user-friendliness. Most models come with Bluetooth, WiFi connectivity, and voice control.
Rinnai makes products safe from the beginning by providing trained professional installation. Their products also contain standard safety features for gas water heaters, such as a thermocouple that will shut the gas valve if the pilot light goes out. Units also run the fan for a couple of seconds after you turn off the hot water to remove residual gas in the unit.
As a consumer, you want a product that will work. Luckily, Rinnai provides long-lasting water heaters that operate as expected. When something goes wrong, customer support can troubleshoot with you to solve the problem or send a technician to repair the unit in person.
Our Review On the Best Rinnai Tankless Water Heaters
Looking for fast, on-demand, and nearly unlimited hot water? Tankless water heating may be for you. Not only is it convenient, but also saves energy and reduces environmental impact.
Rinnai is one of the hottest companies on the market, no pun intended. You can’t go wrong with any Rinnai tankless water heater, but we gathered the best Rinnai tankless water heaters selling today with descriptions of why each one stands out from the rest to help simplify the selection process for you. Let’s dig in.
Our #1 Rated Pick: Rinnai HE+ Series
Our #1 Top Pick
The HE+ series focuses on power as opposed to energy efficiency, making them suitable for both residential and commercial use.
This direct-vent propane tankless water heater generates 9.4 GPM with a .83 energy efficiency rating and offers Cir-Logic technology that recognizes and adjusts to your water usage habits.
- WiFi connectivity with voice activation
- Approved for 10,200 ft.
- Cir-Logic technology
- Indoor use only
- Not EnergyStar rated
- Direct-vent technology equals difficult installation
Our #2 Rated Pick: Rinnai SE Series
The Rinnai SE series offers the quality you expect from Rinnai without the extraneous bells and whistles. This propane indoor tankless water heater generates 7.5 GPM at an efficiency rating of .86 UEF. You can connect to the water heater through the Control-R 2.0 mobile app on your smartphone and access it from anywhere.
- Energy efficient
- Safe to use outdoors
- Control-R 2.0 mobile app
- No recirculation technology
- No Wi-Fi or voice control
- Not approved for over 5500 feet altitude
Our #3 Rated Pick: Rinnai SE+ Series
Top High End
This Rinnai SE+ series condensing propane gas water heater is the Cadillac of Rinnai products. It generates 11 GPM that can support up to 7 fixtures at one time.
It comes with ThermaCirc360 recirculation technology that delivers hot water where you need it most as well as Wi-Fi and voice control capabilities. An ultra high efficient design with a .93 UEF efficiency rating that only costs roughly $481 to run every year.
- .93 UEF efficiency rating
- Built-in ThermaCirc360 recirculation technology
- 11 GPM
- Indoor use only
- Not recommended for high volume use
Our #4 Rated Pick: Rinnai CU Series
The Rinnai CU series creates water heaters specifically designed for commercial use. This Rinnai CU series natural gas water heater generates 9 GPM and provides a range of 98° – 185°, allowing you to set the water higher than most models. It works in all altitudes, and it offers 97% thermal efficiency, giving it a commercial EnergyStar rating.
- 97% thermal efficiency
- Ultra-Low NOx compliant
- Works in altitudes up to 10,200 feet
- Professional installation required
- Not suitable for outdoor use
- Heavy at 72.3 pounds
Our #5 Rated Pick: Rinnai HE Series
This Rinnai HE series natural gas tankless water heater generates 6.3 GPM at 120,000 BTUs with a temperature range of 98° – 140° F, making it perfect for small homes of 1 – 2 people. This lightweight and small unit can fit just about anywhere, even outside.
- Meets NOx Emissions Standards in all states
- Efficient with a low cost of $366 per year
- Capability to install a circulation pump
- No WiFi/Voice Activation
- Not EnergyStar rated
- No recirculation technolog
How Does Rinnai Compare Against Competitors?
The brand name makes a large difference when shopping for tankless water heaters. First, we will take a look at how Rinnai compares to some of the major competitors out there.
Popular brands offer a lot of options. Ultimately, you will need to compare one water heater with another to compare the specifications and details to make the best selection for you.
Rinnai or Rheem?
Rinnai and Rheem top the industry as the two most popular tankless water heater brands, and both brands create reliable products.
Rinnai offers a better warranty, and the products tend to last longer. They also make advanced features, such as WiFi connectivity, standard on more products than Rheem. Rheem offers more selection and slightly lower prices.
Rinnai or Noritz?
Rinnai and Noritz both established themselves in the industry. However, Rinnai tends to overshadow Noritz in sales and popularity.
Rinnai has more experience and offers more tankless products than Noritz. Noritz uses a high-end copper to make the heat exchange, making it more durable than Rinnai heat exchanges.
See this related post for our review on A.O. Smith tankless water heaters.
FAQ’s On Rinnai Tankless Water Heaters
Are Rinnai tankless water heaters good?
Yes! Rinnai tankless water heaters provide quality products and have respectable business practices. You can rest assured then when you buy a Rinnai tankless water heater, you are buying from one of the top water heater manufacturers available.
How long do Rinnai tankless water heaters last?
According to Rinnai, their tankless water heaters have a life expectancy of 20 years, twice as long as water heaters with a tank system. To prolong the life of your water heater:
- get it installed properly
- get regular maintenance
- buy a water softener.
What is the Temperature for Rinnai tankless water heater?
Most technicians will set your Rinnai tankless water heater at 120° F, which the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends as the highest temperature for the safety of the unit and your family.
Can you adjust the temperature in a Rinnai tankless water heater?
Yes, and it’s easy to do!
You can change the temperature on your unit a number of ways, including the digital control panel on the unit, the remote, and the Bluetooth. Simply use the buttons to set the desired temperature. You can also set the temperature to 140° F.
Check the temperature range to learn what your specific unit allows as well as the default temperature settings. Also, keep in mind that you can only change the temperature between 98° and 110° F while currently in use.
Meet Your Plumbing Expert
BrantI'm passionate about all things plumbing, and love sharing tips, "how-to", and reviewing the latest products to help make your project a success!
Learn More Expert Plumbing Tips
Want to learn more about plumbing? Check out these other helpful resources written by our plumbing experts!